Wednesday, 24 August 2011

Longing for beloved Greece!

Corfu Town
Hello Guys!
Want to show you another of my culinary experiment! This time the dish comes from Greece. Went there 2 years ago with my other half and Corfu was the place we stayed in. Beautiful little island sitting on the west coast of Greece. Ideal spot for a short romantic escape from crowded capital city. Roughly two and a half hours flight from London!
It was actually one of many mysterious trips my boyfriend takes me almost every year to….Ups…!!?? I shall say my Fiancée of course! Can’t quite used to it yet ;)! So if you fancy small taster of Greece-Corfu is definitely the place you should aim to. But it’s one of the dishes I have tried there I want to show you how to cook which particularly tickled my taste buds. The dish is called Stifado and it is kind of full of flavor oven cooked beef in thick delicious sauce. And again Corfu is the place you should go to try it at its best. If you‘ve tried it already then you know exactly what I’m saying here about but if not that’s one of these dishes you must try before you die;).
The dish cooks itself by itself pretty much for most of the time. You only have to spend bit of time preparing and putting all the ingredients together. But it’s definitely worth the time and the effort.
All right! Enough talking! Here, below is the quick recipe! Hope you will enjoy this dish as much as I do every time I have it.
STIFADO
Ingredients:
·         1kg lean beef-cubed
·         500g baby shallot onions-peeled
·         1 large onion chopped
·         1 large juicy tomato -chopped
·         2 tsp of tomato puree
·         1/2 nutmeg crushed (put it into the bag or fabric and keep smashing it with a rolling pin)
·         2 cinnamon sticks
·         4 garlic cloves-finely chopped
·         1 vegetable stock cube
·         rosemary spring or two
·         5 bay leaves
·         1 small wineglass of extra- virgin olive oil
·         1 glass of red or white wine
·         2 tbsp of vinegar
·         freshly ground black pepper and salt
How to make it:
1. Add the beef to a large frying pan or casserole dish. Place on a high heat, stirring occasionally until meat is sealed
2.Add the olive oil, chopped onions and garlic. Continue cooking on a high heat, until the onions have turned soft (About 5 minutes should do)
3.  Add wine and vinegar, leave on heat but covered for another 5 mins.
4.  Next add nutmeg, cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, rosemary, stock cube and a good pinch of black pepper. Keep stirring while the ingredients blend, on a moderate heat. Add salt to taste.
5.  Keep heating while adding the chopped tomatoes and tomato puree.
6. Turn out into casserole dish, with lid. Add about 1 litre of hot water so as to cover the meat. Cook in the  oven until the meat is nearly cooked- about 1 hour.
7.  While waiting, peel the baby shallot onions, wash them and shallow fry them in a little olive oil, until soft, not letting them burn.
8.  Add the shallots (but not the oil) to the simmering meat and leave in the oven until the meat is thoroughly cooked (soft and tender)-at least another hour-add water if needed (don't let it dry out), so that you end  up with a rich thick sauce.







9 comments:

  1. Love Greece. It's on my bucket list for places to visit. Lucky you.:) I love ingredients that I don't have to do much except for putting it together. The ingredients are similar to those of beef stew which is my staple. I am definitely trying this and will let you know how it goes.

    Did you just get engaged? Congrats either way!

    Love,
    Patience
    www.justpatience.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Patience! The dish it easy enough to cook at home and is just amazing! Yes, i did get engaged in June this year:) thank u:) xoxxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so yummy!Wow...Congratulations for getting engaged!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe Wiola and for your suggestions on drinking tea! I love drinking green tea with ice and honey! Ever since I watched "My family and other animals", I really want to go there! Have you watched it? It's my favorite movie in the world! xoxoxxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats for getting engaged, i am so happy for you :) and what a lovely recipe

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks soo yum!!! I know what you mean about not being used to using the word fiance...soo weird. Awesome recipe though!
    www.sugarfilledcloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm gonna try to cook that for sure!

    http://fashionindahat.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks tasty!

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this looks really good! Defiantelly worth trying :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment and your time.